Sunday, July 29, 2012

INAUGURAL & INTRODUCTORY THOUGHTS

With this Cloud Technology Business Law Blog, my goal is to use Google's powerful blogging platform to connect with readers interested in exploring legal and business issues related to the commercialization of cloud computing services and the moneyed parties (think venture capital and angels) that fund development of cloud tech companies.

As a former mergers and acquisitions attorney who four years ago came upon the opportunity to retool my legal skill set to practice in the Information Technology sector of my law firm's Intellectual Property Group, I now have a broad bench of practical experiences which I hope to draw upon in these writings.

The billion dollar software-as-a-service industry, which includes vast networks of computer farms hosting and providing computing power to SaaS, is undeniably having a significant impact on the global economy and the delivery of technology to both consumers and business.

To that end, every day new business partnerships are forged among providers and consumers of cloud computing services, with complex, evolving legal and business issues that have to be reduced to writing in an understandable enforceable contract. Drafting and negotiating contracts for these complex relationships, often-times among multiple parties, has provided a fulfilling challenging legal practice that enables me to leverage a base business attorney proficiency, deep software technology licensing experience and new learnings (Probably the most fun part of my job, learning about new technology, which I try to do as much as any lawyer can).

Why blog? As a lawyer accustomed to engaging in intellectual exercises of vast scope and extreme precision, I now write in no other way. That is to say, a blog cannot be a means to sacrifice the crispness of analysis that legal thinking requires. However, the informal and fluid nature of blogging, and its instantaneous delivery of content over the cloud, is a perfect and necessary medium for a certain type of contribution of thought/analysis on the rapidly-evolving technology that is cloud computing. My hope is that these writings can be of use to a broad audience - the aim is drafting blog posts with elegant simplicity while maintaining intellectual integrity. Sounds quite Job'sian... Also I suspect that if I'm fortunate enough to find a set of readers, that I'll gain more knowledge than I provide.

With that in mind, any and all feedback will be cherished by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment